Connecting the Dots!
As the Rillea team considers goals for 2017, I can’t help but reflect on the now famous Steve Jobs quote, “You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future.”
This is so true and led me to think about Rillea’s dots from 2016. I started 2016 by deciding to use my 25 years experience to try to improve hazardous materials management and occupational health. Though exactly how to do this was a puzzle, I choose to trust that my path would become clear if I kept taking steps forward. It has been so rewarding to see this year-long effort result in the beta version of Rillea’s SDS RiskAssistTM software platform! Looking backwards it is easy to see how each dot led to the next one, but I could not have charted this path a year ago.
Rillea’s 2016 Dots!
- Adding my husband Rob as my business partner, with his 30 years leadership experience in manufacturing.
- Having a close friend connect me to her brother-in-law which led to a connection with Parteq Innovations.
- Receiving regular guidance from Parteq Innovations & Queen’s Industrial Partners who suggested startup programs DiscoverXL & GrindspaceXL.
- Completing DiscoverXL, and understanding the need to pivot our business model away from the public sector and focus on the private sector.
- Having the confidence from customer validations to incorporate Rillea Technologies.
- Using talented Belleville companies Stonehouse Marketing Solutions and Dtour Creative to develop the Rillea brand and website.
- From a chance discussion, adding Hiten Jadeja, a brilliant software architect, to our team.
- Completing the GrindspaceXL startup accelerator program, which helped us to put more of Rillea’s puzzle pieces together.
- Connecting with Launch Lab to gain additional business and marketing advice.
- Receiving feedback from an early adopter who felt the SDS RiskAssistTM software turned a non-functional SDS collection into a company asset!
While it is critical to set goals and priorities for a business, we have learned that it is equally critical to stay open to new ideas and contacts. You really never know where they will lead!
Happy New Year to All!
There are so many to thank for believing in and supporting us. We look forward to working with you and many others in the coming year and hope that our 2017 dots lead to an improvement in the way hazardous materials are managed in the workplace.
Happy New Year to all!